Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Broken Road Indeed


I’ve always thought of quoting music lyrics as either a cop out for creative writing, or a means to relive my overly emotional days of jr. high. However, in light of my recent engagement, I am hard pressed to define my relationship with Billy without a little help from Rascal Flatts:

“I set out on a narrow way many years ago,
Hoping I would find true love along the broken road.
But I got lost a time or two, wiped my brow, kept pushing through.
I didn’t see how every sign pointed straight to you.

Every long lost dream led me to where you are.
Others who broke my heart, they were just northern stars.
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms.
This much I know is true:
That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you.”

I feel as if my entire life has been one giant broken road. I manage my way for awhile, but soon enough I trip over a rock or get lost in the dense jungle of life and end up wandering back to where I started. I’ve spent a greater portion of my life wishing my road was well lit, paved with asphalt, and had directional signs every few miles like other people’s. I become discontented with my gravel road filled with potholes and overrun weeds. This sad part is, all of my grumbling and jealousy doesn’t change my road at all – instead I find myself stagnant and crying on the side of the road. It is a very ugly place to be.

Truthfully, the bumps and bruises incurred along the way have slowly molded me into the woman I am today (the rhyme was accidental, I promise). When Billy and I first started dating, I told him that dating me includes an eccentric family, a dangerous Starbucks addiction, and a LOT of excess baggage. From the beginning he and I haven’t had a typical relationship in any sense: I’ve been blessed with a man whose road is broken too. Although we have different experiences, different pains, and different struggles, we understand each other’s brokenness. And it is our honest brokenness that makes our ragamuffin love so beautiful.

My heart has been broken and sewn back together; only this time it includes the pieces of another wayward heart. I do not know how or why God had our unbeaten paths cross, but I am so grateful that He did.

1 comment:

Megan said...

And I love that your profile pic is from a picture with me! (I'm cut out of it of course, but still!) Love you!