Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Be Still and Know

Remember how I mentioned in my last post that I have nothing else going on in my life right now other than my marriage?

I lied.

I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day, and I admitted to her that I couldn't handle the events in my life but for the grace of God. A brief synopsis: my neighbor (and adopted father) from back home is losing his battle with pancreatic cancer and most likely won't make it through the end of this week, my cousin JeniLou was recently killed in an auto accident leaving behind her two year old and 5 week old sons, our dear friends Lance and Tiffany's infant daughter Ailey is undergoing surgery this morning for a constricted small intestine, and Billy received a letter last week from Matteson revoking their offer of employment for no apparent reason.

Years ago -- heck, even months ago I would very quickly and very easily allow the events of my life to dictate my emotions. Whenever something didn't go according to my plan, I would instantly begin to doubt God's sovereignty. My faith was strong until the storms hit. But now, I have found hope that the Lord works in all things for the good of those who love Him. My heart breaks for Rick and Sharon, Uncle Mike and Aunt Kerry, Lance and Tiffany, and for Billy -- but above all else I hold fast to the truth that God is working and will continue to be faithful. I praise the Lord that He has given me this peace, this assurance, and this strength to see life through His eyes rather than my own. And so, though the storms may swell, even then, it is well and He is still good.

"Be still, and know that I am God." -Psalm 46:10

No comments: