Monday, September 13, 2010

Five on...Monday?

I guess it's my own fault that I can't use alliteration in the title. Last week was fairly busy for us, so unfortunately I didn't get a chance to write my fun facts on Friday -- so Monday will just have to do. Here we go...

1. Last week the Man traveled to an undisclosed location to interview for yet another undisclosed job which may or may not be life-changing. Vague enough? Anyway, we set a rather high budget for the short trip (36 hours) just in case and somehow the Man managed to blow through every.last.penny. He is no longer allowed to give me a hard time about spending my weekly fun money in two days.

2. Somehow I went from sitting on my butt watching "King of Queens" reruns to doing homework for graduate school, studying for my ACE certification, and preparing lessons for Financial Peace University. When did I get motivated?

3. Speaking of motivation, the Man and I had an interesting discussion about setting and achieving goals. Since he basically raised himself, he grew up having to work for everything he wanted. He has the strongest work ethic of anyone I know and refuses to settle for mediocrity. Meeting his goals isn't enough; he has to excel. And I admire him for it.

Me on the other hand - as long as I get an A, I'm all right. My motto throughout college (and yes, even now) is "minimum input for maximum output." Why study for 3 hours if I can study for just one and get the same result? Why run two miles when I can run 100 yards and not be obese? Unfortunately this attitude has left me bitter, bored, and just downright fat. I can't necessarily change my circumstances, but I can change my attitude (and what's in my fridge). Lesson learned.

4. On a happier note, I successfully made my first chicken fried venison steak. And no, I did not run two miles afterwards to burn off the calories. I'm bitter, remember?

5. Sometimes there's just nothing like driving down country roads in a packed Jetta singing Journey and Styx with your husband, brother, and soon-to-be sister in law on the way to a line dancing bar. Pure happiness.

No comments: