Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Golden Star Award: Fall 2010

It's that time of year again: leaves are changing, temperatures are falling, students are returning. With fall comes a new semester and a new semester means registration and registration means...

The Golden Star Award!

Typically I give the GSA to a stand-out student who inadvertently goes out of his or her way to make registration just a bit more entertaining. This year, it wasn't just one but a slew of students who deserve the coveted GSA:
  • The nerdy member of the marching band who got a girl's number while waiting in line for financial aid. FAFSA + saxophone = true love.
  • The blonde senior who came up to me and I quote, "So uh, someone told me that I like, need to sign something or whatever so I can, like, go to class or something? I'm not really sure cuz like, my parents always do this stuff and like I just don't know."
  • The mother with unbearable body odor who confronted me in the bathroom. She insisted on showing me the burn on her hand that she received from cooking dinner and proceeded to explain why she needs to wash it thoroughly in order to prevent MRSA.
  • The freshman who couldn't figure out how to write a check and subsequently went through four trying to get it right. She still ended up writing a check for "thirty hundred and two dollars."

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't have one stand-out GSA this year. I kept hoping that the next student would say something ridiculous or comment on my pants. Perhaps this group of students is of a higher caliber....but it's more likely I missed my chance during my lunch break.

No comments: