Friday, February 18, 2011

Land of the Perpetual Turn Signal

When we first moved down here I thought Kentuckiana drivers were kind and considerate, letting others merge and whatnot. Upon further review, my opinions are beginning to wane a bit. Why you ask?
  • The vast majority drive 5 miles under the speed limit. Where I'm from, it's standard to drive at least 5-10 miles per hour over the speed limit. And that's just on back roads. Interstates are fair game. My speeding ticket is pending, I'm sure.
  • When I venture out of the house odds are I will encounter at least one car with the perpetual turn signal. He or she will drive for miles with the turn signal blinking and no intention of changing lanes.
  • Very few people turn right on red. Unless there is a sign clearly stating, "No Turn on Red," go for it. C'mon now, we're in Kentuckiana -- it's not like there are a million cars around. Just do it.
  • Drivers actually slow down and stop at a yellow light. Who does this?
  • Many times Kentuckiana drivers will stop way ahead of the white line, thus missing the sensor for the traffic light. The Man and I almost had brain aneurysms when we missed three cycles of a traffic light due to the Lexus stopped short in front of us. Seriously?
  • Symmetrical white lines painted on the ground in parking lots indicate designated parking areas. Folks around here see these merely as guidelines. Double-parking abounds.
  • The left lane is no longer the fast lane. I'm still in mourning.
  • Before moving here, the only time I came to a full and complete stop at a stop sign was during my driving test. (Check my driving record -- the ticket for rolling through a stop sign proves it.)
  • Left turn lane + green light - traffic = GO!

Part of me feels guilty when my road rage surfaces, considering everyone is still so nice. And it's ironic that my blood pressure increases when surrounded by slower, less offensive drivers. Just goes to show I'm still a Chicago driver at heart.

No comments: