Friday, October 10, 2008

We Believe You Belong Here (wink wink)

Earlier this week, Olivet's faculty and staff received our new 2008-2009 telephone directory. On the front cover is a wonderful photograph of the pristine "Center for Student Success" (aka Dr. Bowling's old house) and Olivet's contact information. However, if one would like to contact Olivet via the 1-800 number listed on the front -- in bold white numbers -- he or she would get A LOT more than they expected.

Apparently, the summer marketing intern made a catastrophic mistake by interchanging two of the numbers. (I'm not so sure it's the intern's fault as much as the proofreader's...) So anyway, instead of hearing, "Thank you for calling Olivet Nazarene University - Education With A Christian Purpose" one would hear, "Are you ready for some one-on-one hot, steamy....(and so on)." That's right. It's a SEX HOTLINE!! Realizing the mistake, the Marketing Dept. sent out a frantic email warning all of the faculty/staff to not, under any circumstances, give out the 1-800 number listed on the FRONT of the phone directory. They also told us that they are sending out labels to place over the number, and these labels will be placed on all students' directories as well. Of course my office went into a worrisome panic, while I sat back at my desk and laughed until I cried. And being the line-pusher that I am, I couldn't just take their word for it. I had to call the number myself....while I was at work....on SPEAKERPHONE. I still can't think about it without laughing.

Thank you, Olivet, for making my week.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Love it. I so wish I had been there to witness this scandal sweep across your campus and office. Would have loved to laugh along with you!