Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Disturbia

Much has happened in the month or so since my last post -- our economy continues to spiral, we've elected a new President (God bless him!), my fiance quit his job and started a new one, and due to rising gas prices, I've decided to see how long I can survive winter without heat. But one thing that I've seen time and again on the news, in newspapers, on the internet, and particularly on Facebook, is the protesting of Proposition 8 in California. I have remained silent on the issue for a while in fear of being labeled a hypocrite. As an American citizen, not just as an evangelical Christian, I cannot stay silent anymore. A friend of mine gave me a link to a Keith Olbermann video clip in which he states,



"What is this, to you? Nobody is asking you to embrace their expression of love. But don't you, as human beings, have to embrace... that love? The world is barren enough."

(view the complete article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27650743)



Maybe this world would be a better place if people ignorantly "embraced" each other's choices of love -- if by better, you mean completely tolerant and utterly amoral. But why stop at gay marriage? If nobody is asking me to embrace their expression of love, then why do we fight so hard to prosecute pedophiles? Why is incest considered a heinous crime? Who's to say that one cannot find true love in their schnauzer? Olbermann continues to argue that interracial marriage was once illegal. True. However, this was still between one man and one woman-- race did not determine that very simple fact.



Please understand that my heart is extremely sensitive and open to the gay community -- more so than many of my fellow pupils. I'm not out to criticize or judge anyone; but I do believe that America desperately needs to maintain some sort of standard. This is so much more than just James Dobson pointing his finger and refusing to "accept" homosexual rights. If gay marriage is legalized now, then who is to say NAMBLA isn't next? Just think about the long term consequences, that's all I ask.

No comments: