Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Matzeltov, My Friends

Needless to say, in the past 5 1/2 years of being a part of the Olivet community I have attended my fair share of bridal showers. I have set up dozens of tables, created countless centerpieces, prepared hundreds of finger sandwiches, and played upteen rounds of Bridal Bingo, but nothing could have prepared me for my own. We decided to host a co-ed "His and Her" wedding shower instead of the typical "women only" so that Billy could have some friends, too (and to keep the estrogen levels at bay). So while the women gathered to watch us open presents, the men entertained themselves with cornhole and the Bears game. One of my favorite moments of the day was when my Aunt Jane unveiled the cake,


After doubling over in laughter, and explaining to Billy what it said, I knew at that very moment that Billy and I were meant for each other. My family had gone to great lengths to help Billy feel accepted, loved, and part of our own. We may be a crazy family, but we love each other and have supported each other through Hell and back. When my parents gathered around us and prayed for our future, I couldn't help but cry in joy for what God has done in our lives. This love is real -- and we are going to make it.

No comments: